Sweet Potato Taco Boats
As I’ve said before, I like to try and create meals that are light on carbs or meat free throughout the week. This is mostly to make up for the fact that from Friday through to Saturday, all I do is go out for food! But also helps to keep meal times interesting, as I get bored of eating the same things.
So the other day, an idea popped into my head for a twist on tacos, and these veggie sweet potato taco boats were born. Meat free and much lighter in carbs, they can also easily be made vegan!
Sweet Potato Taco Boats | Serves 2 | 35 mins approx.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 150g soy mince
- 1 small onion / half an onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pepper
- 1 sachet spice mix / your choice of seasonings
- Tomato purée
- Grated cheddar
- Torn mozzarella
- Oil for frying
- Sour cream to serve
- I’m gonna cheat a little here – start by microwaving both potatoes whole for around 15 minutes. Pre-heat your oven to about 180° (fan oven).
- Whilst these are in, prep your vegetables by chopping the onion, garlic and pepper.
- Fry the onion gently in a little oil for a few minutes before adding the garlic.
- Stir in the soy mince and season. Mine was frozen, so you’ll need to stir this on a medium heat for a few minutes.
- I like to bind the taco filling together by adding a few squirts of puree and a couple of spoonfuls of salsa to create a chunkier texture. Then, season with your spice mix or chosen seasonings. I’m a bit of a sucker for Old El Paso’s BBQ spice mix.
- Mix in the chopped pepper and keep stirring on a low heat.
- When your potatoes are done, take them out and cut them in half. Scoop a small amount of each potato half out, leaving shallow grooves in each.
- Transfer the potatoes to a baking tray and begin to stuff with taco filling. Use a wooden spoon to pack as much onto each half as you can.
- Top with grated cheese and torn mozzarella, and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with a huge dollop of sour cream and voila! A little naughty, a lotta nice.
Do you have any recipes you like to add a twist to?